7.11.2011

Chandni Chowk


Chandni Chowk

Chandni Chowk

Chandni Chowk used to known as Trafalgar Square of Delhi. It literally mean Moonlit (Chandni) Square (Chowk). However there was another reference that Chandni Chowk mean silver square, it came from the name of the silversmith around the square. Which it was possibly true because nowadays there were many silver shops still operated. On the other hand, Moonlit square was more obvious defined. Since at Mughal period there was a octagonal pool at Chandni Chowk, which it reflected moonlight.

Chandni Chowk was a part of Shahjahananbad. Throughout the history there were three major different phrases occurred in this city. Chandni Chowk also affected. Three major events (phrases change) are:
1. period of Moghul (1638-1819)
2. the Colonial Shahjahanabad (1819, 1857-1947)
3. Post Shahjahananbad (1947 onwards)
(these names are not officially named, it differed according to different sources)


As I had a chance to visit Chandni Chowk in 2011, it was incredibly congested. Before I visit the square, the references I read were from the “Mansion to Margins” which they described how haveli was transform through history. In reality it was very hard to notice the vivid complex in Moghul period. The narrow street filled with noise and people. Beside those people are series of shop that once they were called city within the city.
When I walk through this commercial street, which is crowded with noise of people and horn from motorcycle, I need to watch out front and back. Anything can hit me. After awhile when I walked throughout the site I can feel the intoxication from noise, smell, heat from crowd and dimmed light.
We walked along the narrowed street until we get to Jain Temple. Entering the temple boundary, I can feel the different, obviously opposite from the narrowed street. I can notice the tranquility of this place. Before I visited the temple, once I read about the Chandni Chowk that along the street there are many different religious places (temple) hidden along the street, which I found out how Jain Temple amazing camouflage dand distinguished from the congested Chandni Chowk
Experiencing the Chandni Chowk quite reminded me the same experience, congested, noisy, and heat, when i walked at Sum Pheng (China Town in Bangkok), which there are many Indian community and they sell clothe and beads too.

No comments:

Post a Comment